Indiana Parenting Time Guideline Changes
The most recent draft of the Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines 2012 (“IPTG 2012”) was approved last week by the Judicial Conference. The IPTG 2012 could go into effect as soon as early 2013, if it is approved by the Indiana Supreme Court.
The IPTG 2012 link is as follows: http://www.in.gov/judiciary/files/rules-prop-ptg-2012.pdf
There will be many changes if the IPTG 2012 is approved. The following is a list of some of the more significant changes:
1. Parenting Coordinators are incorporated into the Guidelines and may now be approved of over the objection of a party.
2. The use of calendars and parenting plans will be strongly encouraged.
3. The Guidelines will become the minimum amount of time and no longer will be the default.
4. The Guidelines strongly state that children are not to make parenting time decisions.
5. The Guidelines include a list of unacceptable reasons to deny parenting time.
6. The Guidelines clarify hierarchy between Summer and Holiday Parenting time.
7. The Guidelines require all notices of summer parenting time to be given in writing and verbally.
8. The Guidelines allow for parenting time to be 3 weekends in a row due to Holiday parenting time.
9. Fall Break, Martin Luther King Day, and President’s Day are added to the Holiday parenting time schedule, and New Year’s Eve/New Year’s Day have been removed from the Holiday parenting time schedule.
10. Winter Break has been redefined and divided equally.
11. Parallel Parenting Time is introduced.
12. High Conflict is defined and lists a parenting coordinator and parallel parenting time to assist.